Hello wonderful visitor! BBC1 here. My wonderful Facebook friend, Milton, has been in the kitchen himself this time and has come up with his own version of the Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana…made in a slow cooker or crockpot. He posted the pic above and I just knew we had to have the recipe to share. Whilst American Italian Sausages may be difficult to get here in the UK, apparently Sainsburys do a Sicilian sausage that’s very similar, or you could use chorizo, or even order on line. Love this recipe thank you Milton!
1 lb. Italian sausages (I use spicy)
4-6 russet potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/4 c. REAL bacon pieces (optional)
2 Tbsp minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
32 oz. chicken broth
1 c. kale or Swiss chard, chopped
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp flour
1. Brown sausage links in a sauté pan.
2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
3. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
4. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
30 minutes before serving:
5. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
6. Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
7. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
8. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
Garnish with crispy bacon pieces to serve…
BBC1: Would be lovely with some good fresh bread! Once again thanks to Milton!